Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Delayed Gratification

Gardeners know all about delayed gratification.  In this world where we can find out instantly what a friend is doing at any given moment by following them on Twitter or Facebook, gardening is a welcome relief.  There is no choice but to follow the seasons.  If you want something to grow you have to plant it at the correct time.  If you want spring bulbs, they must be planted in the fall.  That is why I urge you to plan the garden.  There is garden planning software out there, but I am old fashioned in that I like to use graph paper, a pencil and a ruler to plan each season's vegetables and flowers,  and seperate pages for the perennial sections.  Of course one can only do so much each year, so this year I am focusing on the vegetable garden, a cut flower garden and one perennial bed.  Next year perhaps I can focus on the rose patch and extending a small cottage garden in part shade. 

If you do want to go the software route, I have used the Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner (<http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html>) which is fairly easy to use.  Of course they would probably like you to buy something from them.  I have bought one or two things from them but they are a bit pricey.  At least for my budget.  I have gotten most of my tools from yard sales and from Freecycle.  Both are also great sources for outdoor furniture.  Also checkout Craig's List.

Now get planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment